For the second straight year, and fourth time in six years, PS LIGHTWAVE has been named a Top Workplace by the Houston Chronicle.
The 2020 Top Workplace awards, handed out by the Houston Chronicle and independent research company Energage, were based on feedback from more than 37,000 Houston-area employees.
“Top Workplaces seeks to recognize employers who acknowledge their best assets – their employees,” said Maria Reeve, Managing Editor of theHouston Chronicle. “Employers are ranked based solely on scores generated by employee responses measuring engagement, organizational health and satisfaction.”
Houston Chronicle Business Editor Rob Gavin said that the COVID-19 pandemic changed how a Top Workplace is defined as normal office perks, company outings, retreats and in-person get-togethers were put on hold.
“COVID-19 ended all that,” wrote Gavin. “What distinguishes this year’s Top Workplaces is a determination to strengthen connections with employees and support them, no matter how scattered they might be. The office happy hours and holiday parties are gone, but the best companies have found ways to reach their workers and maintain their cultures.”
Even the 11th Annual Houston Chronicle Top Workplace Award Ceremony had to be held virtually on Nov. 15, 2020.
“In a year like no other, we are proud to have been selected once again as a top place to work in the Houston area,” said Rhonda Cook, PS LIGHTWAVE’S President and CEO. “This honor, and great feedback we received from our employees, shows that great connections truly happen here.”
Maintaining connections was important in 2020 according to Don Kessler, President of Energage.
“From all the data we learned what matters to your employees in the past, matters even more right now. And that is simply connections,” Kessler said.
PS LIGHTWAVE found creative ways to maintain connections with employees, even with remote work, with such online group activities in recent months as:
- An Online Scavenger Hunt
- Scattergories Team Game Play
- Halloween Costume Contest With Prizes
Virtual Thanksgiving and Christmas events are on the upcoming calendar.
In addition, PS LIGHTWAVE made an effort to highlight employees’ accomplishments of personal goals, celebrating everything from learning songs on piano to learning how to make beef jerky.
Employees were also able to take advantage of mind and body support resources via apps and programs and had access to a 24/7, no cost Employee Assistance Program.
Perks were still available virtually such as free live or recorded online classes for yoga, Pilates, boxing, karate, dance, meditation, parenting and more.
Here is what some employees said about PS LIGHTWAVE when surveyed for the 2020 Top Workplace award:
- “Very good about keeping all of the employees informed about the company’s concern about returning to the workplace. We have quarterly breakfasts and explain how all major projects are progressing and are informed about major events.”
- “They know my personal life and are concerned about me and my families’ wellbeing. They are happy when good things happen and sad when there has been a tragedy or a death in my family. They have personally contributed to charities I support and am involved with.”
- “At PS Lightwave the employees are treated as people. You can expect to be asked to work hard, but that work will be appreciated and rewarded.”
- “PS Lightwave is full of good people who enjoy working together and care about the company and each other.”
- “PS Lightwave is a company striving to do the right things for its customers and employees. It makes you want to do your part to help the company succeed.”
- “PS Lightwave has a flexible work schedule for the family and makes you feel appreciated.”
- “The environment, culture, the employees are genuinely good people. A great team to work with daily.”
- “I feel the direction of the company is the right direction. Every day I come to work I can feel the growth of the company and my personal growth.”
PS LIGHTWAVE provides high-speed, fiber Internet for public and private commercial entities in the Greater Houston and surrounding areas.
Through our high-quality infrastructure, innovative technology and expert, locally based support, we deliver not only the best in connectivity and reliability but in scalability and redundancy. We invite you to learn more about our services, our history and our dedicated team.